Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Only in Belgium #972

EXPLAIN THIS!
A man who assisted an elderly woman on Monday after train doors closed on her was "thanked" by the conductor with a 60-euro fine.
"I apparently could have caused a delay and that is not permitted," Daniƫl Dewulf from Ostend told newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws.
Dewulf managed to get on the Bruges-bound train just before the conductor's whistle. "Then I noticed that an elderly woman had tried to get on after me. The doors had closed on her, trapping her. In order to prevent a tragedy I pushed the door open and helped her get in. She thanked me profusely."
The conductor was less enthusiastic. "He gave me a fine because my actions increased the chance of a delay," Dewulf explained. "The train arrived right on time in Bruges in any event. The conductor did not see my point that I may have saved the woman's life as a mitigating circumstance. Result: 60-euro fine."
So basically it's OK to knock off old ladies, as long as the trains run on time?
That has a familiar European ring to it!

No comments: