Thursday, March 02, 2006

Roy's tour of "War's in Belgium"

As many of you know, I have a strong interest in military history, particularly WWII, but also Napoleonic Wars, and other conflagrations.I have planned several military tours in March which all STUDS are invited to come on. It is important that you let me know if you will be coming as soon as possible so I can coordinate travel arrangements. I may need several cars depending on how many sign up. Some of the tours are short trips of a few hours or a half day, while others will be full one day tours.

Tuesday, March 7: Waterloo: Wellington Museum. Meet at my place at 9:30 a.m. for coffee. Leave Brussels at 10:00 a.m. (Directions to my place will be emailed to you when you confirm your place on this trip). This museum is where Wellington spent the night before and after the battle of Waterloo. Short trip. Perhaps lunch in Waterloo afterwards?

Thursday, March 9: Breendonk: Fort Breendonk Jewish Deportation Center (museum). Also: Mechelen: Jewish Deportation Center Museum. These two museums are located quite close to eachother. This will be a half day trip. Meet at my place at 9:30 a.m. Leave Brussels at 10:00 a.m.

Tuesday, March 21: Bastogne: This is where the
US 101st Airborne and a number of other US forces held out against overwhelmingly superior German forces and helped stall the German advance in the "Battle of the Bulge". This is the largest infantry battle that US forces have ever been involved in. US casualties were around 80,000 (KIA, WIA & missing). This will be a long day tour. Breakfast at my place at 7:00 a.m.Plan on leaving Brussels at 8:00 a.m.

Thursday, March 23: Liege: Musee d'Armes & Centre d'Education a la Tolerance et la Resistance. Also: Neuville en Condroz, SW of Liege. Ardennes American Military Cemetary. Also: Huy: Fort & (Military) Museum de Huy.Breakfast at my place at 7:00 a.m.Leave Brussels at 8:00 a.m.This will be a long day tour.Please email me at roy_stevenson@hotmail.com if you will definitely be coming on any of these trips. Please state which trip(s) you will be attending. Also let me know if you have a car available for any of these tours, as we may need additional transport. All people coming on these trips will need to contribute to gas costs. My mobile phone number is +32 498 50 5840 if you need any further details.
Thanks Gentlemen, Roy

No comments: