Friday, February 10, 2006

U.S. Embassy Message for U.S. Citizens - Upcoming Demonstrations

UPCOMING DEMONSTRATIONS IN BRUSSELS
The Belgian Federal Police have informed the U.S. Embassy about two upcoming protests in Brussels by the Muslim community:
On Friday, February 10, approximately 2000 people will protest in connection with the recent controversy concerning religious cartoons. The protest is to be held at Poelaert Square (at the Palace of Justice) from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
On Saturday, February 11, an estimated 1000 to 2000 people will participate in a weekly Muslim protest at Place du Brouckere in Brussels from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
As always, we remind American citizens that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I'm sure tomorrow I would've walk right into that one. --Austin

Anonymous said...

I recall times in Brussels when I would be asked where I was from and I felt the need to answer "le Danmark, bien sur" in case any strangers in the crowd happened to be nursing a desire to attack Americans.

So much for my cover. :-)

Lucky for me that here in Texas we Texans are at present a majority. I am, however, taking remedial Spanish.


Dave Perkins